- Following a Pericardiocentesis to relieve cardiac tamponade, what hemodynamic change would be expected?
a. Increased heart rate
b. Decreased heart rate
c. Decreased cardiac output
d. Increased cardiac output
- Which of the following is NOT a component of the calculation for cardiac index?
a. Heart rate
b. Systemic vascular resistance
c. Body surface area
d. Stroke volume
- A patient has a possible thoracic aneurysm. What findings on chest x-ray would be compatible with this condition?
a. Pleural effusion
c. Widened mediastinum
d. Narrow mediastinum
- Following a long history of exposure to asbestos a patient has developed a mesothelioma. In which part of the lung would this tumor most likely develop?
- Which of the following would be considered a contraindication for use of an intra-aortic balloon pump?
a. Myocardial depression
b. Severe aortic stenosis
c. Cardiogenic shock
d. Acute mitral regurgitation
- Following insertion of a prosthetic aortic valve, which of the following medications would be required by the patient on a life-long basis?
- Which of the following BMI value ranges is considered to be in the obese category?
a. 18.0 – 20.0
b. 23.0 – 25.0
c. 25.0 – 28.0
d. 30.0- 32.0
- Which two measurements are used to calculate the BMI on a nomograph?
a. Height and body fat percentage
b. Height and weight
c. Weight and body fat percentage
d. Waist measurement and height
- Which of the following hemodynamic values would NOT be expected to be seen in a case of septic shock?
a. Increased Systemic vascular resistance
b. Increased Heart rate
c. Decreased blood pressure
d. Increased cardiac output
- Which of the following medications has alpha-adrenergic activity only and no effect on the beta-adrenergic system?
Answers and Explanations
- D: With clearance of tamponade, an increase in cardiac output would be expected.
- B: As cardiac index is calculated as cardiac output (stroke volume x heart rate) divided by body surface area, SVR is not a part of the calculation.
- C: A widened mediastinum would be expected with the dilated surface of the aorta in a thoracic aneurysm.
- D: Mesothelioma develops on the pleural lining of the lung.
- B: Severe aortic stenosis is a contraindication for use of an intra-aortic balloon pump as it would likely be ineffective in that situation. The other conditions listed are reasons that the pump would possibly be used.
- A: Life-time treatment with Coumadin is necessary after a prosthetic valve insertion.
- D: BMI values over 30.0 are considered to be in the obese category.
- B: Height and weight are used to calculate the BMI on a nomograph. These two easily measured values makes the BMI an easily obtained value in clinics without easy access to more expensive body fat analyzers.
- A: Sepsis usually results in a decreased SVR due to vasodilation.
- D: Phenylephrine has only alpha.