Practice Test 1
- A patient post CABG is found to have a heart rate of 70 and a stroke volume of 70 ml. What is his cardiac output?
b. 10 ml/min
c. 4.9 L/min
d. 1 L/min
- The same patient in question #1 has a blood pressure of 130/85. What is his Mean Arterial Pressure?
- Which of the following values would be considered to be in the normal range for systemic vascular resistance (SVR) in dyne/sec/cm-5?
- Following use of a defibrillator for ventricular fibrillation, the first drug recommended to treat refractory ventricular fibrillation is:
- Which of the following code drugs CANNOT be administered via endotracheal tube should IV access not be available?
- In addition to being used to treat eclampsia, which of the following code medications is used to treat Torsades des Pointes?
- In the treatment of tachycardia, which of the following drugs is often accompanied by a brief period of asystole?
- A left bundle branch block (LBBB) is diagnosed by a QRS interval > 120 m/sec and slurred R wave in which two leads?
a. III and aVL
b. aVR and V2
c. V1 and V3
d. I and V6
- Brugada syndrome is characterized by sudden death or ventricular tachycardia/fibrillation with RBBB and no evidence of structural heart disease. It is due to abnormal mutations in the sodium channels of the heart. In what population group is this most commonly seen?
a. Caucasian females
b. Asian males
c. Mediterranean females
d. Hispanic males
- A sixty year old man admitted for chest pain is scheduled for an exercise stress test. Which of the following conditions is NOT a contraindication for exercise stress testing?
a. Previous MI
b. Critical aortic stenosis
c. Uncompensated heart failure
d. Critical carotid bruit
Answers and Explanations
- C: As cardiac output is calculated as heart rate X stroke volume, the answer is 70 X 70 = 4900 ml/min or 4.9 L/min.
- D: Mean arterial pressure is measured as [systolic BP + (2 X diastolic BP)]/3; the answer is [130 + (2 x 8)]/3 = 100.
- C: As the normal values for SVR is 1130 +/- 178 dyne/sec/cm-5, 1130 is the correct answer.
- B: The first drug recommended for use in refractory ventricular fibrillation is epinephrine.
- A: All of the possible answers listed may be used via the endotracheal tube before IV access is obtained except for amiodarone.
- D: Magnesium is used to treat both eclampsia and Torsades des Pointes.
- A: Adenosine is useful for the treatment of some tachycardias but causes a brief period of asystole.
- D: Slurring of the R wave in I and V6 is diagnostic for LBBB.
- B: Brugada syndrome is the leading cause of death in young men in Thailand and is most common in Asian males.
- A: Previous history of MI is not a contraindication for exercise stress testing, and stress testing is often of diagnostic importance in this patient group.mmittee work, and emergency planning
Last Updated: 05/21/2014